Clive Collier, who developed the pattern for the McKay, has very kindly given the list of materials and tying instructions for the Mckay.
- Hook: Drennen Tradition Wet size 10
- Thread: Dark Brown 8/0
- Tail : Black Marabou with 2 pieces of orange twinkle each side of the tail
- Body and Thorax: Hares Ear
- Body Rib : Medium Gold Tinsel over ribbed with fine gold wire
- Cheeks : Orange Glowbrite (CC prefers the coarser nylon version), these are tied in either side of the body behind the thorax
- Thorax Cover : Canadian Goose Feather Fibre, dull side on top
- Front Cheeks : White Glowbrite (CC prefers the coarser nylon version) these are tied at the eye of the hook on either side.
- Wrap thread to the back of the hook in line with the barb
- Tie in the marabou tail
- Tie in two pieces of orange twinkle each side of the tail; trim to the length of the tail
- Tie in the wire rib, then the gold tinsel.
- Spin hares ear onto the thread, and tie body to about one third of the hook shank.
- Rib body with gold tinsel, then over rib with gold wire.
- Tie in orange cheeks at the end of the body on both sides of the body; trim to size
- Tie in Canadian goose fibres
- Create a thorax of hares ear
- Pull goose fibres forward over the top of the thorax; tie in just behind the hook eye.
- Tie in white cheeks on either side just behind the hook eye.
- Trim the cheeks by pulling them forward past the front of the eye, and cutting tight to the front of the eye
- Whip finish and a drop of varnish